Back to Pen
What I've constructed looks like this:
I took the old desktop power supply and soldered off the AT motherboard connecters. Then I removed the "switch" wires and hard-wired the unit so that when it was plugged in, it was on.
I then removed the drive cage from a P166. I drilled a hole in the top of the power supply that just happened to be the perfect diameter for the screws to fit in without nuts. There are three screws holding the cage to the top of the PSU.
The Hard Drives came out of my primary workstation. In that machine had both drives 'mirrored' and used them for backup. Since alternate backup solutions have been found, I no longer needed them in that machine.
Zip ties were acquired after Jimbo made fun of the "Hefty gator-tooth cinches".
Here are the parts that were removed from the Power Supply Unit.
80 conducter EIDE cable has been hooked up to the repaired ATA66 card. Due to the fact that the drives will be located outside of the case, I am only able to use the "master" connector on both cables.
Here you see the case in a fully assembled condition (very rare occurence, some say it never happens).
The "Turbo" light on the case has been hooked to the ATA133 controller.
At this point I took a Monitor power cable from a Macintosh machine. This cable plugs into the back of the computers Power Supply, and power only travels to it while the computer is on. This means that the drive cage will only be active while power is going to the computer.
The surface I was using turned out not to be as flat as I had hoped.
No problem. I had plenty of wood shims available for just such an occurance.
Installed the unit with little difficulty.
I happened to have some extra LED's so I had hooked one up to the ATA66 controller. Now the drives on the ATA133 controller light up the 'turbo' light, and these drives light up this light.
Note the professional use of "Scotch" tape.
Whoo! Look at that light go.