Steaming Ass

191011121315»

Comments

• Oh. I am shamed.

• @eod said:
    ~~

Dammit I told you to fix the image macros.

If you don't this forum will probably start losing members.

• Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson are the two dumbest motherfuckers in the world. That is all

• @fenomas said:
    Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson are the two dumbest motherfuckers in the world. That is all

I donno... This guy can compete: https://jalopnik.com/yes-sovereign-citizens-you-do-need-a-drivers-license-1848423810

• On a side note, I guess Rogan and Peterson spent some time in their interview talking about whether various black people looked black enough to really be black. That's Steve Sailer's schtick, maybe he can sue?

• People keep asking me if I listen to Joe Rogan.

They ask this right after I say "Neil Young owns the rights to his music, so why aren't libertarians happy about him voting with his dollar?"

Then I try to watch the recent Rogan where he has Peterson on, and... he hasn't gotten any more reasonable since almost dying three times. If anything its made him more insufferable than before. Long story short I had to close it before I suffered a concussion from beating my head against the desk.

• "Well first of all there's no such thing as climate"

Nods sagely

• I once saw a tweet like "if you put me in a room with Joe Rogan for two hours, I'm pretty sure I could convince him that he and everyone he knows has been dead for twenty years", and every time I hear the guy I think of that quote.

• edited February 2022

@fenomas said:
    I once saw a tweet like "if you put me in a room with Joe Rogan for two hours, I'm pretty sure I could convince him that he and everyone he knows has been dead for twenty years", and every time I hear the guy I think of that quote.

Before my next rant, I have to admit that my exposure to social media is much smaller than it used to be. I had to stop following some of the alt-right and conspiracy accounts because it was negatively impacting my mental health. I haven't even logged on to parler in quite some time either. I mostly still follow centrist, liberal, and leftist accounts. For now. I'll immerse myself again when I feel I'm up to it.

But even on those accounts the push-back by commenters against any criticism of Joe Rogan is... well its kind of cult-like. It reminds me of the people that would search for any mention of President Trump so they could jump in and call everyone a cuck.

But then there are the bits that are eerily similar to another recent event. Its like they're using the same playbook that was being used when someone would dare to say they don't like anti-trans language that Dave Chapelle has been using recently.... "did you even watch the special" just morphs into "do you even listen to the podcast".

I've morphed a dozen different interactions I've witnessed into a fictionalized account, below.

Rabid Joe Rogan Fan: "Do you even listen to the podcast, bro?"

Most other commenters: "Sure. Used to listen now and then. He used to be amusing, but something changed."

Rabid Joe Rogan Fan:: "Nah, bro, like have you listened to multiple episodes all the way through?"

Most other commenters: "Yes, actually."

Rabid Joe Rogan Fan: "Whatever, you don't really listen. You just hate him because CNN and the mainstream media tells you that you should hate him."

Most other commenters: "I literally just said I have listened. Also isn't Joe Rogan large enough now that he's part of the mainstream media? "

Rabid Joe Rogan Fan: "Do you know how much Pfizer made last year?"

et fin.

If someone mentions particular problems with how guests are vetted or how the guest selection has changed since Covid... well... then you're just falling for mainstream media hype again. Surely, pain in my forehead from trying to listen to fucking Jordan Peterson speak on the show were just media hype.

Fuck.

The pain in my forehead is back, and with it a horrible thought:
    Joe Rogan is going to become president some day, isn't he?

• edited February 2022

Amongst the most corrosive elements in America, has been the attack on the news media. At every turn, when a media outlet reports on a story, it is slammed as false, decried as biased and/or dismissed as incompetent; by everyone who's internal narrative is violated by the story. A society that cannot even agree on what the truth is, is doomed to failure.

I've thought about how I would respond to someone who would go off about "lyin' CNN" or something similar. Recently I've determined that I would simply refuse to accept or support someone's belief in a mainstream media's story being invalid, unless they could provide factual/credible information that refutes the story. If you're going to stand there and tell me how, "CNN is a big lyar", I am going to force you to make some attempt to prove it.

People have gotten into this pattern of simply saying , "aw the New York Times is fake news" (or similar) and their compatriots around them smile and nod. Because something in the news does not fit your view of the world, does not make it fake news and simply making the claim does not give you any standing. As a society, we need to be able to say to people that do this, "prove it". Dismissing a story as a lie, does not make it so, and as long as people are allowed to do it, we enable this sort of behavior.

"That news story is fake news"

"Yeah? Prove it... You can't make the claim, unless you can prove it... Otherwise, you are bullshit."

Most right-thinking people know people who do this are bullshit, but this behavior has been so normalized in society, that the invalidation of the media is gaining traction. More people need to put up, or shut up.

• I'm reminded of a quote from the film "Clerks"... paraphrased: "This job would be great, if it weren't for all the people".

I mean, to a point I can sympathize. I hate people. But, I don't think that is Musks problem.

In any case, I read that the author of the recent biography mentioned in the article is apparently retracting parts of the book now because Musk raised a fuss about them. That does make me want to read the book, I'll admit... but I don't really need a reason to have less respect for a man I used to have at least a token respect for just a few years ago when he sent a car into space and was in the news for reusing electric car batteries.

• What a bizarre headline. I'd have gone with:

Elon Musk wants you to think he wants to save humanity. The only problems: he's not that smart, he's incapable of empathy, and he just had some ketamine.

• @fenomas said:
    What a bizarre headline. I'd have gone with:

Elon Musk wants you to think he wants to save humanity. The only problems: he's not that smart, he's incapable of empathy, and he just had some ketamine.

I'd read that book too, to be fair.