Comments

• "Google has become a less reliable search engine over the years as they have increased advertising. They also use algorithms to predict what you would like to see based on your search history, which is even more annoying than the ads. This is due to decisions they made as a business, and has nothing to do with net neutrality. All major search engines are guilty of this.

We get very good internet in Camas, it could always be faster but it has been very reliable. I think this lady might just need to break down and buy a new computer if she's having that much trouble, or clean the one she has. It's probably riddled with malware from ads for Alex Jones dick pills."

• I have been able to make neither head nor tail of the issue.

• edited December 2017

Internet got slower? Mine went up to 100meg for the same price as my previous 60 meg. Actually I thought I just saw an article on Ars Technica that showed that growth in speed and availability had continued at the same pace it had since before NN had passed.... I think it was Ars? Damnit. Now I have to find it again.

In any case, there is a marked separation between how the internet works and how this person believes it works. If this were a Venn diagram, the various circles would have a gulf between them wide enough to lose every copy of "The Art of the Deal" ever printed. There is an even wider gulf between what NN (or even Title II) actually means and what they are referring to as censorship (Google and FB already had veto power on what showed up on their page...).

So.... Ok... I'm a paranoid guy. I'm also a pessimist except on my best days. But about halfway through I realized this is written as thinly veiled Obama hit piece. I realized that was the actual goal even before I noticed the links to an Infowars piece blaming Soros and the other link to WND. Its like they think he's still president or something.

That said, the EFF link on that page is a good read. I just don't think its saying what the author of the article actually says it is. :-)

• @Bill said:
    I have been able to make neither head nor tail of the issue.

The baseline is pretty simple - the people who sell internet connectivity don't want it to be a commodity, much like everyone else selling anything. It almost certainly should be, of course. The details of exactly who regulates what and how are complicated of course, but there's no big mystery about who profits from what, which is the important bit.

• CLME it seems like she's so misinformed that most of the arguments she makes are in favor of NN. It really made my brain hurt.