The Dead People Who Are Now Dead, Thread

RIP: Aretha Franklin

Comments

• edited August 2018

[Obligatory joke about showing some damn 'R E S P E C T']

[Obligatory 'Christopher Reeve is still dead' reference]

[Obligatory apology for the previous items]

• This has been a busy week for celebrity funeral directors.

• Probably the wrong time for this then...

• George H.W. Bush, RIP
    Whatever his failings, the man had personal courage.

• I had a lot of problems with the elder Bush. A lot. Plus he is at least partially responsible for bringing Dubya upon us.

Yet I still feel a little sad at his passing.

To tell the truth, I kind of wonder if my sadness is entirely because of comparisons to our current president.

• Hrrrmmmm, meh.

The most notably legacy of his presidency, to me, was probably the War on Drugs stuff; arguably one of the most harmful things to happen to the country in the modern era (pre-Trump). So, meh. I'm sure he was a fine tennis player and whatnot.

There was an interesting twitter thread today about the poor schmuck the DEA convinced to sell them some drugs across the street from the White House, so that Bush could hold it up in a press conference to show how bad the drug crisis was. Of course they had to lure the kid across town because it wasn't actually possible to buy drugs anywhere near the white house. (The kid they found didn't even know where in town the white house was, the DEA had to tell him where to go.)

Long story short Bush got his talking point and random kid with no criminal record got a mandatory minimum 10 years without parole. The judge in the case thought it was so excessive he suggested that Bush, being decent and compassionate, might commute it (he didn't).

• A lovely (and funny) lady...

RIP Carol Channing

• Mike Hawthorn, died on this date (January 22nd) in 1959.

Mike Hawthorn started his motor racing career in 1950, eventually becoming a Ferrari team driver for the 1953 Formula 1 season. Motor racing in the 50s was something of a blood-sport. Hawthorn suffered a couple of serious accidents, lost several of his team mates to fatal crashes and was involved in the 1955 Le Mans crash that sent a Mercedes crashing through the crowd (killing 84 spectators).

In 1958 Hawthorn finally won the Formula 1 world championship (the first Englishman to win). He immediately retired from racing.

On January 22nd, 1959 (three months into retirement), Hawthorn was driving his modified 1958 Jaguar 3.4-litre saloon on a dangerous section of the A3 Guildford bypass (racing with team manager Rob Walker, in a Mercedes 300SL gull-wing). Hawthorn lost control after striking a bollard, a truck and then crashing into a tree. The cause is not fully understood, as there is speculation that Hawthorn could have suffered a medical episode, which may have caused the crash.

Having survived chronic health issues and the horror of motor racing in the 1950s, to become world champion, Mike Hawthorn died in a road accident, at the age of 29.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hawthorn

• The best thing I ever read about Carol Channing involved her being on Richard Nixon's enemies list.

She said it was the highest honor of her career.

• That made me sadder than it probably should have, considering I mostly knew him from the Monkees. But he was really a talented guy, even for a dude in TV band.

• @Clme said:
    That made me sadder than it probably should have, considering I mostly knew him from the Monkees. But he was really a talented guy, even for a dude in TV band.

Peter Tork was the only member of the Monkees who was a legitimate musician, before the show.

• True. He also deserved more recognition for his post-Monkees career than he actually got.

To be fair the entire 'Monkees' thing is really interesting to me. The whole idea that the actors insisted on learning how to play (some of the) songs for themselves is amazing. Even if they were mediocre. Plus... well... lets face it: the TV song writers for the Monkees were pretty damn good. Especially for the time period.

Despite all of that, everyone wanted to meet Davy Jones. [queue a list of 1970s TV shows bringing Davy Jones to their school dances].

• They had the entire Screen Gems song catalog to choose from.
    Davy Jones was a stage actor/singer before he became a Monkee.

• edited March 2019

Wow.... Dead, after a stroke, at 52...

O_O

• Not that my Facebook feed doesn't often push me into stroke territory, but junkies often suffer strokes due to fevers from hep and random opportunistic illnesses, thanks to compromised immune systems and general lack of care. Note that none of the press releases from the agent and family (that I've seen) express shock at the the death or indicate a condition to explain the stroke.

• "Sometimes what they don't say is just as important as what they do"

• edited March 2019

This was a great show, back in it's day... Never missed it.

• {sadface}

• {sadface} x2.

• RIP, Tim Conway... Legitimately one of the funniest people to grace the planet.

• my old friend JJ the Lizard Man passed away last night
    gone like that from a type a aortic dissection
    here he is pretending or maybe practicing to be gone
    fuck

• Sorry man... that sux… :(

• Hope I look that animated when I'm dead.

(Sorry to hear that, man.)

• Pouring Liquor.. RIP

• RIP Rip Torn... {sadface}