Random Discussions

edited April 2018 in General

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson...

Good guy, who makes bad movies...

Bad movies, that make a ton of money...

Discuss!

Comments

• I think he's on steroids. I haven't seen any of his movies.

• There might have been animal love, but when you really got down to it, they were just into horse cock.

• Who isn't?

• I keep confusing "The Rock" with Vin Diesel.

• @Clme said:
    I keep confusing "The Rock" with Vin Diesel.

That's a mix-up that imagine neither of them would appreciate.

• It's weird how not just press but white house and GOP types are talking about whether Cohen will flip on Trump, but nobody seriously considers the possibility that he might not have any incriminating information to give up.

• edited April 2018

Based on a court hearing today in California, he's getting ready to plead the 5th in the Stormy Daniels case... which implies that he's got incriminating information... at least about himself.

Also, Stormy Daniels' attorney believes that there is incriminating information about Trump, that will come out as the case unfolds... he firmly believes that Trump will be forced to resign before the end of his term.

I think he underestimates how stubborn Trump is... but I don't know what he knows.

• Popehat had an article today about that, if you missed it. The gist was that there's a good chance the civil case will get delayed at least temporarily, since a criminal case seems imminent.
  • The IMDB description for the upcoming Deadpool 2 movie:

After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry's hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor - finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World's Best Lover.

Love it!

• When I turned on the news this morning... it was wall-to-wall stupid... Seriously... It was a Parade of idiots.

There's this stupidity, which is almost as stupid as this preposterous story.

To top it all off, there was this family, who thought it was ok to get out of their car with the cheetahs in a safari park.

• I stopped watching a long time ago. My blood pressure is high enough already.

• edited May 2018

Nissan has been running the following commercial lately; cross promoting the latest Star Wars movie and the Nissan Rogue:

I get more angry and disappointed with this piece of crap every time I see it... Seriously... If you need an electronic gizmo in your car to help you maintain your lane, on the highway, you should NOT BE DRIVING!

We are on the road towards a culture that embraces and encourages lazy and unskilled drivers (no pun intended).

Now... I am not necessarily against the coming of autonomous self-driving cars. Even the GM concept, where there isn't even a steering wheel. Not for me... but for all the other slobs behind the wheel, trudging down the road without care or concern. If they want to surrender driving to a computer, I say, let them. I reason that an autonomous driving car isn't going to camp-out in the passing lane; maintain a steady speed; will be more likely to get out of my way; doesn't get road rage; and won't do stupid and unpredictable things. I dream of the day I can cruse down the highway unimpeded; without having dodge people who don't know how multi-lane streets and highways are supposed to work.

Driver aids that make it ok to be an unskilled driver is something entirely different and is a dangerous step backwards. Drive or don't... Using crutches to compensate for a lack of basic driving skills is not the answer.

ARRGH! >:-(

• But how else will I text while changing lanes and yelling at the kid in the back?

My wife actually leases a Rogue. None of these options in it, but I have to say the size of the blind spots on this thing are huge. I pray that the typical soccer moms and 'its not a mini-van' dads actually know how to use their mirrors.

• @Clme said:
    But how else will I text while changing lanes and yelling at the kid in the back?

FWIW: Driving with your phone (or any other electronic device) in your hand will cost you $450.00 and three points, in Ontario.

When it was originally made an offence, the fine was $115 and no points... After the news media interviewed enough people who simply considered it a cost of doing business (typically contractors, etc. who work out of their cars), things escalated quickly.

@Clme said:
    My wife actually leases a Rogue. None of these options in it, but I have to say the size of the blind spots on this thing are huge. I pray that the typical soccer moms and 'its not a mini-van' dads actually know how to use their mirrors.

The whole SUV cross-over craze just makes me ill. Yes, my wife drives a 2008 Lincoln MKX and it's good to have at least one car in the family with some good cargo capacity, but it has gone out of control. When the only car that Ford plans to sell in North America is the Mustang, something has gone horribly wrong.

• edited June 2018

My pet peeve is car commercials that show off automatic brake systems like this:

Shit, I could write a program that detects boxes that look like cars on a sunny day. Show a demo of the car braking automatically to avoid an overturned bicycle in the road on a rainy night, then it'll mean something.

• Observe the order the information is presented. I thought for a few seconds that I had accidentally skipped to a different news article.

• @Bill said:
    Observe the order the information is presented. I thought for a few seconds that I had accidentally skipped to a different news article.

Note their choice of font as well. Confirms my suspicions.

• Only reason I thought I was in a different article is because of the annoying advertisement and link-farm section part-way through the page.

• Saving the most important information until last is not what's taught in journalism class.

• Stop frothing. The writer disagrees with you about which bit was most important. Mystery solved!

(How can a person spend years wrapping themselves in fringe political views, but still be mystified that a mainstream journalist might disagree with them?)

• Admit it: the asshole who wrote that article is doing his best to start a riot.

• He disagrees with you.

• I suspect he knew that he was doing his best to start a riot.

• Mate, you hold fringe views. A journalist seeing things differently from you is not something we need to imagine explanations for.

I don't know how to say this without sounding snide, but habitually seeing ulterior motives in others can be a sign of things that aren't healthy. Have you ever considered talking to a therapist or similar?

• edited June 2018

This is a follow-up article, and if we look through the archives we'll find other bits that contained the bits we see later in the article. The officer being green was the newest information.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/tag/antwon-rose/

Scroll through the last week of news tagged antwon rose (link provided above), and you'll see.

I will admit I never liked that format. But at least a real news organization still includes the entire article... the internet news-clearing-houses tend to leave some of those later bits out.

• The author of that article fooled you, Clme. The officer wasn't a green officer; he was an experienced officer on the job since 2011. The reason why he was just sworn in was because he was changing his place of employment. Notice how the author did his best to bury that fact. The reporter was doing his best, with malice aforethought, to stir up trouble. Bury the fact that it was an experienced officer. Bury the fact that the stopped car had just been through a gunfight.

• @fenomas said:
    Mate, you hold fringe views. A journalist seeing things differently from you is not something we need to imagine explanations for.

He clearly buried the facts that made the shooting reasonable in order to make it look like a travesty of justice. I'm not the one that needs help seeing reality here.

• @Bill said:
    He clearly buried the facts that made the shooting reasonable in order to make it look like a travesty of justice.

The author's stated intention is that the article is about when it's okay for a cop to shoot a fleeing suspect in the back, so the article leads with the fact that a cop shot a fleeing suspect in the back. Then it explains the rules for when cops can shoot fleeing suspects, then it tells the details of the case at hand and leaves the reader to draw a conclusion about whether the latter meet the former. Nothing about any of that is unusual.

@Bill said:
    I'm not the one that needs help seeing reality here.

Seeing reality is a higher-order concern. What you need help with is empathy - being able to conceive of someone disagreeing with you without imagining nefarious motives for them, and then attacking the motives you made up.